RISK MANAGEMENT FOR NONPROFIT COHORT
The nonprofit sector faces a perfect storm of risk as demands for community services increase, public funding declines, and the nation faces the threat of our first recession in more than a decade. Additionally, in coming years nonprofits are projected to experience major fluctuations in individual donations due to tax reform. Risk management tools can help an organization anticipate the need for change, pinpoint where that change could occur, and communicate with funders about risk.
We want to help nonprofits know how to begin the process of assessing and managing risk - especially in this environment - which is why we are inviting you to participate in a risk management cohort to learn these skills.
The cohort will be led by Ted Bilich, CEO of Risk Alternatives LLC, located in Arlington, Virginia. Risk Alternatives works with nonprofits and entrepreneurs to help them identify and address threats and opportunities, confront challenges, and build processes to achieve their goals. Ted has more than 25 years of experience counseling clients on risk management, compliance, governance, and complex business issues.
Only six organizations will be selected to participate so take advantage of this special opportunity and apply today!
How to Apply
- Review "what to expect" below to determine if your organization has the capacity to commit to the program.
- Visit the application site at http://bit.ly/RiskManagementCohort
- Submit your application by March 22, 2019. Decisions will be made by April 2, 2019.
What to Expect
- If your organization is accepted into the cohort, you and a team of appropriate staff will commit to participating in all sessions as outlined below.
- Cohort organizations will participate in 3 training sessions, 8 interactive webinars, and an online risk inventory assessment and analysis. One-on-one technical assistance will also be provided. At the end of the cohort, each organization will have an individualized plan for addressing high-value risks in their nonprofit.
- Mark your calendar for the cohort kick-off meeting, to be held on April 25, 2019. An overview of the risk register and additional details for the cohort will be covered during the session.
- A second group training/ workshop will take place on May 23, 2019.
- A third individual session with your nonprofit and Risk Alternatives will occur in June or July, 2019.
- We recommend that 2-4 people from each organization participate in each group meeting. The following staff positions should be taken into consideration for participation: Executive Director/CEO, COO, CFO, Program Director, Director of Development, and a direct service staff member.
- Webinars will begin after the kick-off meeting and will be scheduled according to cohort participant availability. At least one person from your organization must participate in each webinar – you can choose the person(s) that makes most sense based on each topic. For a list of topics and detail about each webinar go to - https://riskalts.com/community-foundation-for-northeast-florida-risk-management-cohort-resource-materials/ Note that these are subject to change based on cohort needs.
- At the end of the cohort, The Nonprofit Center may hold a closing meeting for each organization to share its learnings with the group and any other feedback on the cohort experience. TBD