Working in the nonprofit sector can be draining for both people working on the frontlines and those behind the scenes. In recent surveys of Northeast Florida nonprofit leadership, staff wellness was identified as the number one concern for organizations.
We know that these conversations can cover sensitive topics and often highlight the need for immediate, specialized support. Below is a non-extensive list of support services and helplines that focus on a myriad of communities, needs, and experiences. We hope that this information can act as a starting point in connecting those that may be experiencing a crisis to the resources and support they need.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: We can all help prevent suicide. The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.
- Phone number: 1-800-273-8255
- For TTY Users: Use your preferred relay service or dial 711 then 1-800-273-8255
- For Spanish speakers: Nacional de Prevención del Suicidio – 1-888-628-9454
- RAINN – National Sexual Assault Hotline: RAINN is the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline in partnership with more than 1,000 local sexual assault service providers across the country. If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, help is available.
- Telephone hotline: 800-656-HOPE(4673)
- Online chat hotline/Spanish chat hotline at RAINN.org/Resources
- National Street Harassment Hotline: 855-897-5910
- DoD Safe Helpline: a service for members of the U.S. Military and their families, operated by RAINN for the Department of Defense: 877-995-5247
- Crisis Text Line: Crisis Text Line connects texters with trained volunteer crisis counselors to help resolve times of crisis. This service tries to match texters with Crisis Counselors who have shared lived experiences.
- Text the word HOME to 741741 to reach a Crisis Counselor for free, 24/7 (standard messaging rates apply)
- The Trevor Project: The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning young people under 25.
- Trevor Lifeline Phone: 1-866-488-7386 (free, 24/7)
- Text the word TREVOR to 1-202-304-1200 (Monday-Friday, 3-10pm ET/ Noon-7pm PT, standard messaging rates apply)
- Trans Lifeline: Trans Lifeline is a grassroots hotline and microgrants 501(c)(3) non-profit organization offering direct emotional and financial support to trans people in crisis – for the trans community, by the trans community.
- The Network/La Red: The Network/La Red is a survivor-led, social justice organization that works to end partner abuse in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, SM, polyamorous, and queer communities.
- SAMHSA: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is the agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that leads public health efforts to advance the behavioral health of the nation.
- Disaster Distress Helpline: SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7, 365-day-a-year crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters.
- 211: Through the power of information, innovation and hope, United Way 211 helpline connects people of all ages and walks of life to essential health, human and social services. Operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the service connects callers for free to trained resource specialists who provide available information on over 1,200 community services and resources.
- Dial 211
- call 1-904-632-0600 or text “Hello” to 211904
- Hubbard House: Our highly-trained advocates are available 24/7 to talk confidentially with anyone experiencing domestic violence, seeking resources or information, or questioning unhealthy aspects of their relationship.
- 24-HOUR HOTLINE: (904) 354-3114
- 24-HOUR TEXTLINE: (904) 210-3698
- Women’s Center of Jacksonville: The Rape Recovery Team (RRT) provides rape recovery and prevention services. Communications with RRT advocates are confidential.
- 24 hour rape crisis hotline: 904-721-7273
- Youth Crisis Center – Crisis Hotline (904-725-6662 x option 1)