Nonprofit Center Board Service Fellowship
What is the Board Service Fellowship?
Behind every healthy and high-functioning nonprofit, there is a diverse and highly skilled Board of Directors.
Why does the Board Service Fellowship focus on diversity?
Finding and recruiting the right pool of board members plays a significant role in the sustainability of a nonprofit organization. Many organizations struggle to effectively recruit diverse pools of board members because they rely heavily on the social and professional networks of current board members to find new candidates.
Significant research shows that composing a diverse board is crucial for the long-term success of organizations. Diversity is often reduced to singular factors, such as race or ethnicity, but is much more complex and layered. A truly diverse board should contain not only a mix of racial and ethnic backgrounds, but also diversity of experience, ability, social identity, connection to community, leadership style, and diversity of thought and background. The Nonprofit Center believes that board diversity is a crucial issue for local nonprofits to address.
What happens in the Board Service Fellowship?
- Attend and participate in all 3 program days:
- Monday, June 29 - 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, July 27 - 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, August 24 - 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Commit to a one-year Board Service Fellowship with a local nonprofit organization
- Submit this application no later than April 20, 2020.
- Curious about how COVID-19 might affect this program? Please check our COVID-19 page for our latest programming shifts and changes.
- Are you a nonprofit organization interested in hosting a Board Service Fellow? Please reach out to Callan Brown at